Piesporter Goldtröpfchen

Exposure: south-facing slope

Soil: silver-gray slate soil

History and Trivia: In the fourth century, the spectacular steep slate slopes, up to 200 meters in height, were planted by the Romans. Even the famous poet and prince’s educator at the court of the emperor, Ausonius summed up, the genius recognizing the 371 encountered here incomparable panorama representative of the entire river valley in his "Mosella" in words.

Previously been to Celtic times parts of this impressive slope, like an amphitheater on the south-west to south-east on the south opens out, been cultivated.

Already in the early middle ages, in the year 777, is a document that some Piesporter vineyards were given to the Benedictine Abbey in Prüm. This document is the oldest written testimony for viticulture on the Mosel River in the early middle ages.

Since the 15th century Riesling was planted here. In the 18th century through the regulation of the Elector Clemens Wenceslaus in 1786, after which throughout his State Riesling vines were put firmly rooted in this position at the Moselle.

Later, this location in the already mentioned Prussian viticulture card in the version of 1868 was classify as "Class 1 - Location".

A further written evidence of the quality of the wines from this district also dates from the year 1868. At that time a winegrower from Piesport according to a cellar book from the 1875 total of thirteen bottles 1868er Piesporter Goldtröpfchen for the price of 6 marks each bottle to Berlin.

In addition to its exposure, the Goldtropfchen benefited from the hill of downstream neighboring village Minheim that protects against cold east winds and the forested hills above the vineyards, the night breathe cool air to increase the fluctuations between day and night temperatures, leading to enhanced flavor formation in the grapes.

Go back